Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where am I from?



I've started a photography project that documents a few of my friends and their cultural journey. The idea of cultural identity and racial classification is something that has always been a sensitive issue for me.

My little sister is a born and raise Arizonian. When she was 7 years old, she was asked by a teacher, "Where are you from?" She answered, "Mesa (Arizona)". Then, the teacher emphasized, "No, where are you FROM?" Puzzled by this question, she came home and asked me what her teacher meant. My sister, at the time, has never been outside of the country and was only familiar with Arizona - particularly East Mesa, Arizona. The teacher was expecting an answer even prior to her actually answering it of something along the lines of "Japan, or China". My parents are Korean. But does that make my sister something that is not American?

I'm often asked, "Where are you from?" as well. But even before I answer, they ask, "China?" I say, "No". They continue, "Japan?" I say, No. Then they are completely baffled and ask, again, "Then, what?!" As if there are no other Asian countries other than those two.

My biggest pet peeve is when strangers answer to my act of kindness by saying, "Arigato" or "Xie xie". I look Asian, yes. But, does that mean I am automatically either Japanese or Chinese? Does that also automatically give me an ability to speak those languages fluently?

So, here are my thoughts and wanted to ask out into the void, "Where are you from?"

Love,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment