Sunday, July 18, 2010

the Up-Down






The "Up-Down". We all know what it is. It is the look one gives another by moving the eyes from up at their face to down to their feet, making a mental note of all of the assets, deficits, or indifferences.

Men do it women, women to men. Sometimes discretely, others blatantly. More often than not, women are more likely to do it to other women. Girls love (especially in New York City) to make sure through out their day that they themselves are the trophy winners amongst a brutal battle field of prized competitors. Do not deny you haven't done it yourself. New York women are in general beautiful. Perhaps the greater percentage of beautiful women are a result of higher population, or being the nation's capital for fashion shows, magazines, and headquarters. Remember that famous Darwinian line, "Survival of the fittest"? I doubt that Charles had in mind vicious Bloomingdales shopping, Gilt.com bidding, and sample sale fighting NY women when coining this phrase, but it sure does fit well. Don't you agree?

The woman who taught me how to keep clothes in immaculate condition because "style always repeats itself" was my Mom. The woman who taught me to always come to studio as if you've had your full-night's beauty rest and ready to win NYT front cover was Monica Tiulescu. The woman who taught me how to wear pencil skirts with style, grace, and charisma was Suzanne Stephens, editor at Architectural Record. For each one of these women, I have learned how to present myself by greeting them with a subtle Up-Down every morning (and endeavoring to imitate their fashion sense).

I have to admit some times the Up-Down leads to discouragement because you know that the girl next to you has it more complete than you do. My friend and I chatted over drinks the other night and she told me about the time she met her boss's wife - Mid 50s, blazer, flowing dress pants that tightened around the ankle, and bright red heels. She became the attention and admiration of the entire office in as little as 0.2 seconds of walking through the door. Her outfit made her an attention grabber to a lengthy applauding essay. What you wear controls how you are perceived. How you are perceived, often is forgotten, is controlled wholly and totally by you.

I am not trying to stick my nose in the air and state that I am one of those who fall into the "best-dressed" category, but I am stating that I look up to those women who sit at the top of the household, magazine headquarter, or non-profit organization that dress to impact the world. So, thank you to those women.

Love,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment