Tuesday, July 20, 2010

v. to blush






1.to redden, as from embarrassment or shame.
2.to feel shame or embarrassment.
3.to become rosy.
4.to make red; flush.
added by Jo
5.to endeavor to hail down a taxi cab on a street corner for ten minutes while a Starbucks full of people are gazing at you through the window in amusement.
6.to turn the same colour as the dress you now wearing in result of heat, embarrassment, and complete ire.

My co-worker and I talked about beautiful blush colours today. Coral, orange, pomegranate, peach.... Little did I know that conversation would foreshadow my day to come.

After work, I changed into my new Ali Ro dress and hurriedly walked with my co-worker to the InStyle event. I caught the 1 train and waited aimlessly on Chambers Street to realize no trains were going to take me fast enough to midtown (Thank you, once again, MTA). I proceeded to exit the tunnel on Chambers to catch a cab. I jumped from street corner to corner trying to hail down what looked like fully occupied taxis. After 10 minutes, I realized a gentleman had stepped outside from his caffeinated comfort zone in Starbucks to assist me in my quest for an empty cab. I then realized that an entirely full Starbucks on the corner of Chambers and Broadway now stood near the window watching a girl in a bright pomegranate coloured dress turn the same shade of orangey-red....yes, that would be me.

I quickly changed my mind to try the subway, again. This time to my avail, the express train had arrived. I hopped onto the florescently lit subway car that made my dress (and face) pop even more. A gentleman (a different one this time) jumped up to compliment my dress and offered me his seat encouraging me to sit down despite my refusal. Now, I am became the center of the attention in that particular subway car...
"Thank you for inspiring me with your outfit," he remarked.
While the WHOLE train stared, I began to fidget with my fingers and cell phone until the -normally fast,but today unusually slow- "express" train arrived at Times Square.

Finally, fashionably late, I pushed open the doors and gawk at the room full of immaculately dressed women and dapper men. In a sea of neutrals and pastels, there I was in POMEGRANATE. I decided to pull a Coco. If you're different, might as well embrace it.

A few minutes flew by, and there was Prabal Gurung (the CFDA nominee and in my opinion, expected winner)! Followed by Diane von Furstenberg!! They taught me great words of wisdom that night, "No one ever designs a 'signature look'. It's like buying an 'IT bag'. You only know it's 'IT' until it's 'IT'!" -DVF
Though very small and short, I felt like I had a slight 'IT' moment today and I'm thankful. In a very blushing, quick-moving, jo-like way...
The designers did inspire me to view architecture from a brand new angle.

(Yawn)
Love,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment