Thursday, June 30, 2011

Neckties for Human Lives


I have only one intention for my visits to Korea - to visit my relatives. I grew up here in the States and so I do not have much attachment to the country of my Father's. My relatives used to visit me, but now I fly out and see them because my grandparents are too elderly. I wish I knew the value of their visits as their child.

I remember distinctively that I was laying down in my room when I was a child wishing I could have my own space back, wishing so many relatives weren't around in my house. Right then, my Grandpa walked in and took my hand and placed a $5 bill into it. He gave it to me thinking it was worth a couple hundreds, but didn't realize the currency difference. He said, "Thank you for being patient with our stay. I hope you use this wisely and save the rest."
I immediately felt regret for the prior thoughts... To me, that $5 bill was worth a few hundreds. He rarely spoke. He always had a stern look on his face and replied in short, succinct answers. He never showed his emotions or expressed his pain - just like my own Father.

Now, I visit my Grandpa in the hospital when I go to Korea. He is no longer strong enough to speak his mind or walk freely. However, now when I visit him, he greets me with a warm smile, holds my hand, and gives me kisses. This is my Grandpa now. I see in his eyes the same regrets I have. We both wish we could have expressed our love for each other more often when we had the chance.

I frequently ask my Father and Uncles about my Grandpa. What was he like? What did he wear? How did he meet Grandma?? One day, I ran across a photo of a man dressed in a fancy white suit and matching fedora. I asked my Uncle, "Who is this?". He replied, "That's your Grandpa." Then, the search began for me to discover his past.

My Grandpa met my Grandma before the Korean War. They were engaged to be wed, but because of the war, he was sent off to fight. Since my Grandpa was one of the few that spoke Japanese well and was educated in business, the Japanese army spared his life and instead made him a translator for business transactions in Korea to transfer profits to Japan. Little did they know, my Grandpa was undercover. He was paid very little for his work, but with every bit of money he saved up, he bought neckties. Yes, the ties you wear around your neck when wearing a suit.

Japan was the first Asian country to be exposed to Western culture and to begin wearing Western suits. Suits were a symbol of status and luxury. Therefore, my Grandpa bought neckties and instead of wearing them, he traded neckties for Koreans held hostage for cruel human experiments. It is incredibly saddening and disturbing to think that human lives were worth as little as neckties, but to Japanese guards, neckties meant a lot.

I don't know how many people my Grandpa ended up saving, but even saving 1 - just like that $5 bill - is priceless. His letters to my Grandma were loving and thoughtful. His stories even more deep and meaningful. My biggest regret is that I couldn't ask these questions to him directly when he was able to answer them. My Grandpa still resides in Korea, but far from his hometown in a hospital. I ask you to please say a little prayer for him and all those around us that inspire and love us everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment